Skip to main content

"Bridging the Gap" IRA Charitable Distribution

An Individual Retirement Account (IRA) is a wonderful way to build a nest egg for your retirement. It's also a great vehicle to realize tax savings, even if you don't itemize your deductions, through making an IRA qualified distribution to a charity like St. Paul's.


You can take advantage of the tax savings from an IRA charitable rollover or qualified charitable distribution if you are at least 70 1/2 years old and have an IRA account.

Why Give from an IRA?

Once you reach age 72, you have to take out a required minimum distribution (RMD) from your IRA each year. You can take out more if you want, but you have to at least take the required minimum distribution by December 31 each year. These distributions are considered taxable income.

For those who don't really need the money in their IRA for personal use, you are faced with a tricky situation. If you withdraw the minimum distribution, it will increase your taxable income and perhaps even bump you to a higher tax bracket. Why be penalized for an income that you don't really need?

Instead, if you transfer your distribution directly to a 501 (c)(3) not-for-profit organization like St. Paul's, it will be considered a donation instead of income and will be tax-free.

This is a wonderful way to make a gift to the "Bridging the Gap" campaign!

Gift Limit

Individuals who have reached age 70½ can donate up to $100,000 to charitable
organizations like St. Paul's from their IRA without counting it as taxable income. For couples with separate IRA accounts, they can each gift up to $100,000.

How to Make an IRA Charitable Rollover

Just ask your IRA administrator to send a check directly to St. Paul's from your IRA account. They will have a simple form you need to complete.

The check will need to be made payable to St. Paul Homes. Our Federal Tax ID# is 25-0773080. The check should be mailed to:
St. Paul's
Attn: Dawn Hartman, Director of Strategic Giving
339 E. Jamestown Rd.
Greenville, PA 16125

Please use the form below to let the Charitable Giving Office know of your upcoming gift or contact Dawn Hartman at 724-589-4611. Thank you so much for supporting the "Bridging the Gap" campaign!

Fields marked with are required.

I would like to inform St. Paul's Charitable Giving Office that I have requested a qualified charitable distribution from my IRA to be sent to St. Paul's for the "Bridging the Gap" campaign.

Donor Recognition

Example: In Memory of John Smith
Example: In Memory of Jane Brown from her loving husband